23 W Market Street
Once part of the estate designed for Frederick W. Vanderbilt by the prominent New York City architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, this brick residence was built in 1896 for Vanderbilt's secretary, broker and friend Edward Wales. Surrounded by a stone wall and cast iron fence, this nineteenth century interpretation of the Georgian Revival style features a gable roof pierced by three chimneys and three dormers, modillioned cornice, and balustraded porch at the main entrance. In 1939 Vanderbilt left the house to his estate superintendent who had occupied it since Wales' death in 1922. Privately owned, not open to the public.