34 River Road
The Mission style station fronting on the Hudson River was designed and constructed in 1914 for the New York Central Railroad by Warren & Wetmore, architects of Grand Central Terminal. The low pitched hipped tile roof extends into a canopy supported by decorative brackets. The interior waiting room retains original clay tile floors, wooden benches and marble water fountain.
Britain's King George VI and Queen Mary left from here at the conclusion of their celebrated visit with President and Mrs. Roosevelt in 1939. In April 1945, Franklin D. Roosevelt's funeral train stopped at the siding and his casket was transferred to a horse-drawn caisson to carry him to his home for interment. The Hudson Valley Railroad Society (845-229-2338) leases the station from the town and is responsible for restoration and maintenance of the building, museum operation and programs.